Rembrandt tulip - 林布蘭鬱金香

[複製鏈接]
作者: joke_k_d 發表于 2008-5-13 22:50:00
2580 3
節錄網上資料:
Class 9: Rembrandt Tulips
These tulips are named for the famous Dutch painter Rembrandt (1606 - 1669), who lived and worked in Holland at about the same time that tulips first became enormously popular. Actually Rembrandt himself is not known for painting flowers, but many other Dutch Masters of the time did include tulips in their paintings.

During this time, tulips became all the rage in Holland, particularly the ones with streaks and stripes of colour. These types of tulips were bought for huge sums during the so-called Tulipmania that occurred between 1593 and 1637.

We now know that these unusual markings were actually caused by a virus, which eventually caused damage to the tulip bulbs. Because of this, the original Rembrandt Tulips are no longer sold commercially. However, there are quite a few modern, virus-free, Rembrandt "look-alike" tulips available.

These modern Rembrandts are mutants of existing tulips, which additionally exhibit the stripes or streaks that are characteristic of Rembrandt Tulips. A few varieties have a fragrance.

Monse 發表於 2008-5-14 00:04:11 |顯示全部樓層
Joke_k_d,
好靚呀!
你送我的鬱金香球根有長葉仲生得好靚添呀,前一排下雨之後就開始腐爛.......未開花就死掉了,

辜負了你這麼遠給我帶回來
回復

使用道具 舉報

Luar 發表於 2008-5-14 01:07:29 |顯示全部樓層
Dear Joke_k_d:

Thank you for sharing your nice pictures.  In fact, I have been following your interesting posts with great joy.

I do have a soft spot for geophytes hailing from temperate climates, including such genera as Fritillaria, Colchicum, Crocus, Anemone, Ranunculus and, above all, Tulipa.  The very first book on bulbous plants I bought some 25 years ago, which is entitled "BULBS" published by Sunset Publishers and is still under my utmost attention, provides a detailed account on the history, early trading and significance of genus Tulipa subsequently giving rise to the bulb industry in Holland.  The importance of Tulipa to Holland's economy and political tide to the then Ottoman Empire (now Turkey) vividly reflects on the picking of this flower as Holland's national botanical emblem.

Tulipa is well represented in an extensive region from Cyprus, Greece and Turkey in the east Mediterranean through the harsh central Asian mountains (particularly the Caucasus) of the Soviet Union, Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan to the Pamir Plateau, Altai and Tien Shan.  The genus also makes its natural representation in Japan, Korea and arguably in Hong Kong with a single species, Tulipa edulis which is also botanically known as Amana edulis.  I have serious doubt about the suggestion that Tulipa edulis happens to be native to this Territory taking into account that most Tulipa species are cold hardy to USDA Zones 4 - 8.  Under normal circumstances, Tulipa bulbs would disintegrate in-vitro in warm humid weather, such as our long hot and sticky summer.  As such, Tulipa bulbs flower in this climate only upon being "forced" and they can only be treated as an annual plant.  Growers must replenish new bulbs on annual basis.

In spite of our hostile summer weather to Tulipa, I am always tempted to see to it if there is any possiblity introducing relatively tenderer species such as T. bakeri, T. clusiana and T. cretica (?).  In particular, Tulipa cypria, or commonly known as the "Black Tulip" by local Cypriots though the species actually carries dark red flowers, is endemic to coastal rocky outcrops in western Cyprus.  The climate of the area should be considered mild as opposed to the natural habitats of any other known Tulipa species.  In this connection, I am rather confident that Tulipa cypria could be succesfully introduced to this climate.  It would be great if you could look for supply of T. cypria and let us see how it grows in this climate.

Luar
回復

使用道具 舉報

Exodus 發表於 2008-5-14 11:06:15 |顯示全部樓層
我好似上左堂鬱金香歷史地理課

but joke_k_d is seems an overseas chinese...

[ 本帖最後由 Jumpluff 於 2008-5-14 11:08 編輯 ]
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 註冊

本版積分規則

聯絡園藝館|手機版|HKplants